- Argentina in September
- Thanksgiving: Christmas markets in Berlin and Prague
- Post Christmas visit ito Paris
- Basel Fasnacht March 2-4
- Oh, and then I found a fabulous 4 Seasons rate--yes in August, but still--Scottsdale and managed a great airfare as well...so long weekend there.
Now, you'd probably think that's enough. But then there's the business travel...I'll have trips to Chicago each month, San Diego in July, Pittsburgh in August, The Greenbrier in November...not bad.
So how to concentrate on the work in between since the travel planning is so much fun.
This morning I have focused on the Christmas market trip...the German Christkindlsmarkts are a wonderful introduction to the holiday season. I got hooked when I lived in Baumholder thirty years ago...and have been back several times to re-experience the gluhwein, the ginger cookies, the sizzling little sausages, the rachenman and nutcrackers, the wonderful ornaments and the various village components...plus all kinds of toys and lots of people!
The most famous and largest is at Nurnberg, Munchen's is also good sized but not as crowded, but virtually every town of any size has one, and each has a character of its own. On this trip I hope to not only visit Berlin's and PRague's but also Dresden's and Leipzig's. Between markets it will be a long postponed look at Berlin...I mean, when I was last there the wall was in tact. And I haven't been to Prague...so lots of opportunities to consider....
Then there's where to stay...and where to eat. I like luxury...but even more, I like to get a feel for the old Germany with the Bavarian painted furniture, beamed ceilings, and creaking floors. That's getting harder to find, as all the drive is toward most modern and artsy.
Any suggestions for this trip welcome. Meanwhile, I will brush up on my German, consider train vs. road travel, and wish for just a touch of snow while I am there.
No comments:
Post a Comment